Friday, March 18, 2011

Free Parking and an "A"

The Hot Wing Café has two things I love in a wing joint. Those two things are free parking and an “A” in the window. I’m not sure if the Board of Health gives grades in areas other than LA, but it has a lot to do with whether or not I visit an establishment for the second time. I will get into health grading in a later post, but right now it’s time to focus on The Hot Wing Café.

I would recommend checking out the Hot Wing Café. It’s clean, they have flat screens, and they have a good assortment of beer. One thing I really remember about this place is that they have crunchy ice. Not crushed ice, but crunchy ice. The stuff that’s like little pebbles that used to come out of the old fountain drink vending machine. You know, the ones where you would pick your soda, the cup would drop down, and then automatically fill. Crunchy ice is awesome. And they have extra wide straws so the crunchy ice gets sucked through.

Their wings are good. They have good meatiness and a good size to them. The sauce is tangy and flavorful. If you like some heat, the “extra hot” is what you should start with because “hot” only has a mild heat index. The Hot Wing Cafe serves individual sauces, which you know as while as I do is a plus. The one thing I didn’t like was they didn’t have plates. I like to have a discard plate so I have somewhere to stack the bones. Here, they just bring the wings out in a fry basket.

One notable thing about this place is they have knife graffiti on the toilet seat. I always feel like knife graffiti adds some culture to the place. I give this place 3.50 sticky fingers. So if you find yourself in the West Hollywood/Hollywood area, check out The Hot Wing Café. You won’t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment