Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Airport Ride

I was just scheduling a wing date with a friend of mine and he asked if I could pick him up. I figured, sure, no problem. It’s not like I had to go get him in the middle of rush hour. It was on a Saturday afternoon. Probably the best time to be on the road. As I was driving over to his house I was thinking how the only ride I am opposed to giving is the Airport Ride.

The Airport Ride may be the worst thing someone can ask for. It is always at some obnoxious time. People assume that being taken to the airport at 5am or during post work traffic is cool. Or maybe they decide to get back into town at 11:00pm on a Saturday, just in time to fuck up your plans for the night. Not only do they think it’s cool, but they assume it is expected in return for their friendship. You know what; if people insist on asking for an airport ride then they need to plan their trip around my schedule. Not try and get the bargain basement fare that saves them $30 but means that they leave at the ass crack of dawn. If you want to get that bargain basement price then use the money you save to park your car in the $10/day lot, or spring $30 for a cab. Getting to the airport is part of your trip, so figure that shit out before you ask me the day before your flight to give you a ride. I have driven people 5 hours to pick up a motorcycle because I’m the only one who has a truck. I am more likely to do this than I am to agree to an airport ride. Half the time, your flight changes and you’re calling me asking if I can come get you an hour later because your flight is delayed. Nope. Your ass can wait at the Chili’s bar in terminal 6 while you wait for the plane. All I’m saying is if you decide to drop a grand on airfare and hotel to go to Miami Beach for the week, factor in the $60 it will cost to get to and from the airport. It’s a cost affiliated with travelling. Work it into your budget you cheap bastards.




2 comments:

  1. I have a full understanding about how you feel about airport rides. But it doesn't bother me I feel like you are doing a favor for someone. But I do agree and it is not some thing that I factor into the cost of my trip is a taxi ride and I do take a taxi if my arrival/departure is at a weird hour but if I put that coat into it then it wouldnt ever be a problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wingman - way too long between posts. Can't you share a bit more with us loyal readers? For example, it'd be great to get your take on the perfect beer to accompany an assortment of wings. Or, proper wing etiquette when chowing down in a group setting. Fulfilled, of course, with a healthy dose of your rants...make it happen pussy

    ReplyDelete