Monday, March 14, 2011

Are Sweat Pants Appropriate In Public?

“Are sweats appropriate attire in public?” More often than not, I wear sweats to a wing session. I think it’s because of the elasticity, and the fact that I don’t care if wing sauce or wing dip get on my sweats. If you insist on wearing sweats in public, I recommend sticking to these criteria. First, make sure they have a logo on them, to signify some sort of fashion. I rock Puma sweats, but Addidas or Nike also work. Second, make sure they don’t have elastic ankles. These are the sweats that are baggy throughout the leg and tight at the bottom. Very douchey. Third, make sure they have pockets. I think if they are made with pockets then that tells me they are made to be worn in public. As long as you stick to these three things, you will be good to go.

Afterthought:

Let’s examine this. I’m writing in Starbucks at 9:30 in the morning wearing sweats. Everyone around me is in a suit and tie with blackberry’s in hand. Do I feel out of place? Yes. Do I care? No. Why is it that people go to Starbucks to do work. I could do the same thing in my apartment and just make a cup of coffee. I would probably save myself about $15 a day if I did this. So why is Starbucks so much better? Because of the people watching. I can come here and see people from different walks of life. While the Pac 10 basketball tournament was going on, not only did I get to see L.A. people, but also red necks from Washington and Oregon, nerds from Cal, and douchey jersey shore types who tend to congregate in Phoenix and Tucson (these are the people who think that Rehab at the Hard Rock is still the place to be). Then I look at myself. What do people think of me, sweat pants guy? They probably look at me the same way I look at them. Being the bottom of the barrel for people in a given area. So maybe we can just conclude that Starbucks is a congregation for people who are fashionable rejects. But if it means me being comfortable while being “at work,” then I’m fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment