Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The LBC Represents the Best Wings

The time has come where I give a real review of a wing joint. I do enjoy ranting about everyday experiences, but I want to make sure I stay on topic at least every few posts. I feel that by now you all know what I like in a wing experience. Everything I have talked about in previous posts will be involved in the final rating of an establishment. The rating will be based on a 5 scale, 5 being the best.

Well, I’m not going to draw this out. I am going to tell you the best place in the LA area for wings so we have something to rate others against. This is a bar/restaurant in Long Beach called E.J. Malloy’s. There are two E.J. Malloy’s. One is on Atlantic a couple blocks north of Carson, and the other is on Broadway and Redondo. Each place has strengths and weaknesses. The one on Atlantic serves beer and liquor while the Broadway location only serves beer. On the flip side, the one on Broadway has slightly better wings than the one on Atlantic. In no way are the wings at the Atlantic location bad In fact, they are better than all other wing places I have visited. It’s just that the wings on Broadway are really good. It would be like the difference between Tango and Cash. Now Tango is cool and classy, but Cash is a bad ass that isn’t afraid to hook up with Tango’s sister. And Cash rocks a sick mullet. Both places are the same except for the overall wing quality/taste. They bring the wings out with ranch, so be sure to ask for bleu cheese if that’s your preference. The good thing is Malloy’s won’t charge you for extra dipping sauces like at others might. Their temperatures are mild, medium, and nuclear. If you like average heat, go with medium. I will say that nuclear is pretty hot. Sometimes it’s hard for me to finish off a pound of nuclear. Now if you have that good wing buddy with you, here’s what you do. They serve them by the pound. 1, 2, and 3 pound portions. Start with one pound of medium, and then do one pound of hot. Now if you guys think you are true bad asses, order their secret item that is not on the menu. Super nuclear. Last time I ordered this the waiter asked twice if I was sure about what I was doing. This heat made my neck sweat and my ears ring. It was pretty intense. You can’t even smell them because the nostril sting is too intense. When you are done with the wings, there is a lot of thick sauce left on your fingers, so you definitely feel satisfied. The washroom doesn’t have anything with sensors and there are lots of televisions with all types of sports.

On a scale of 5 sticky fingers, I would rate this place a 4.25. I can’t give it a 5 because that would be the all time wing joint. But this is definitely the best I have found. So if you ever find yourself in the birthplace of Snoop Dogg, or just want to make a special trip to the LBC, make sure you stop by E.J. Malloy’s. You will be thoroughly pleased that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment